Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Thyme for Athlete's Foot (Foot Fungus)


My kids are back to school.  They now are required to wear shoes everyday.  With that, I know that their shoes will start to smell, and they may even develop rashes or cracked feet.  I wanted a remedy that would kill the fungus that grows in the icky shoes and attacks their precious skin.

I found this link on Pinterest it is filled with a lot of great information on how to heal foot fungus at home.  I made a few adjustments, by just using what I had on hand.


Take 1/4 cup of olive oil and put it in a small saucepan.  Add about three medium sized sprigs of thyme, and placed it in the pan making sure to press them down into the oil to coat them.  You can use dried thyme if you do not have fresh thyme.  Just let it sit in the oil for a few minutes before you start to warm it.  That will let it soak up some of the oil moisture first.  

Then turn the burner on to a very low heat.  I mean low, like, the lowest setting you can get.  Just enough to warm the herb and the oil.  Warm them until the smell of thyme fills the room.  Probably about 10 to 20 minutes.  They will infuse just right in these conditions.  You do not want to simmer the oil or cook the thyme.  You just want it to release it's health benefits into the oil.

Let that cool, then pour the oil without the sprigs of thyme into a small glass container, like 1/2 pint mason jar.  

My kids just rub a little on their feet each night.  It has cleared up all of the skin issues, and their shoes actually stopped smelling.


No comments: